Total Pageviews

Monday, January 24, 2011

Assignment 1 Good readers and writers

Reading  Strategies To Think About
View more presentations from David Deubelbeiss.

Bruce Robertson
Eng 102
01-24-11
Mrs. Laura Cline
Good Readers and Good Writers
            Personally, I believe Nabokov to be quite over the top. He insinuates that a story read only once, just hits on an emotional level. In order to be a good reader, one must reread the story 3, 4, or even 5 times. We must dissect every descriptive phrase and analyze it scientifically. He then goes on to say that good readers must have a balance between an emotional and a scientific thought process when taking in a book. In my opinion, becoming a cold, scientific, analytical machine that disassembles writers every fiber of imagery and description is to become devoid of the emotion that makes a story enjoyable. Thus, I find Nabokov’s description of a good reader to be contradictory.
            That being said, I do agree with his assertions that a good reader must have imagination, memory, and some artistic sense. I believe a good reader should take the time to mentally picture what the author is trying to portray. A good reader shouldn’t be naïve enough to let their emotions be twisted without exercising some literary analysis. I guess my point is this: don’t swim so deep in the analytical, that you drown in it. I believe myself to be a good reader in that aspect. I can enjoy a book emotionally and analytically, without having to dissect every letter and send it off to forensics. Call me shallow, obstinate, or naïve; or just call me a good reader.   

No comments:

Post a Comment