Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 10, 2011

http://www.contemporarywriters.com/authors/?p=auth03C18N390512635243







Posted: July 25, 2010 by Mika in books
Tags: , , ,
0



Bruce Robertson
Cline
Eng. 102
10 April, 2011
The Handmaid’s Tale Analysis
            My biggest questions after reading The Handmaid’s Tale were: Why would so many women subject themselves to this kind of lifestyle? Why would some willingly sell out others in order to be put in positions of some authority (such as the aunts or marthas)? Also, how long would it take for the women to actually accept and adopt these outrageous beliefs? In order to gain better understanding of the story, and to better answer my questions, I’m going to do some research on the Jewish people during the Holocaust. It was under different circumstances and for different reasons that they were led off, nonetheless, many chose to be led off as opposed to running away. I’m also going to do some research on blacks during slavery, to see what would constitute making certain ones into house slaves or overseers. I think that would give some insight into my second question about the Aunts and Marthas. In order to better understand my third question, I’d like to do some research on Stockholm syndrome and maybe take a look at a few specific instances of long kidnappings and imprisonments. At the end of The Handmaid’s Tale when the professor is giving the lecture about the Gileadean society, he notes that all of their ideas were basically stolen from earlier societies. I feel that if I can do my research on previously accepted sociological principles that may have been the basis for the framework of the Gileadean society, that it may give me better understanding of the society and their goals, as well as the behavior of those within the society.

No comments:

Post a Comment